Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  To Wristband or Not to Wristband...that is the question!

Posted 11-23-2014 10:40 AM
    Hello Fellow Museum Managers!

We are in the search for an alternative to wristbands with the Milwaukee Public Museum.  Are any of you using something different to signify a guest/visitor has paid admission, other than showing a ticket or wristband upon entry to your collections?  Are you doing anything different for higher level memberships and/or higher level donors?  Thank you for your feedback and suggestions!

-------------------------------------------
    Tim Malenock
    Director of Guest Relations
    Milwaukee Art Museum
    Milwaukee WI
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: To Wristband or Not to Wristband...that is the question!

Posted 11-24-2014 11:08 AM

At the AACA Museum, we keep it simple with a hand stamp, although we do provide a hard ticket. For those with religious convictions about having a hand stamp, we stamp their ticket or map for the volunteers to know they've paid. Currently, we don't offer anything that designates a donor, from a high ranking member or so on. It would be nice if we could have something unique, but when we factor the additional maintenance, sometimes the expense out ways the good deed of appreciation. Plus, by having everyone check in, they are personally greeted and thanked.

Rochelle Coslow-Robinson
    Exhibit Programs Director
    AACA Museum - Antique Auto Club of America
    Hershey PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: To Wristband or Not to Wristband...that is the question!

Posted 11-24-2014 07:18 PM
    We use colored stickers with our logo.  Admissions issues a different color every day.  Stickers and their colors are the same regardless of membership status, and it is a low-adhesive type that won't damage clothing or mar surfaces.  We have six buildings on our campus that are open to visitors and the campus itself is quite accessible without actually going through the entrance, so the stickers provide our staff with a quick, non-intrusive way of determining who has paid admission.

Barron Oda
    Associate General Counsel
    Bishop Museum
    Honolulu HI

• 4.  RE: To Wristband or Not to Wristband...that is the question!

Posted 11-26-2014 09:58 AM
    CMA uses paper tags on strings that visitors can tie to a belt loop, button hole, wrist, or stroller. They vary in color so that we know that this person paid for entry TODAY and not yesterday.

I do quite like the idea of distinguishing member visitors from day pay visitors. I loved the Corcoran's aluminum badges for admission, it might be neat to see a similar badge done in, say, Gold for your super members, silver for the mid-level members, and, say, hot pink or a fun color for family members. 

Because everyone I know is currently taking their kids to Disney, I'm pretty fascinated by the Disney Magic bands as a mechanism for wrap around visitor services. If a museum had piles of money, I could see a future where you had your MuseumMagic bands that would pay for your entry (or register your membership), and be swiped for things like locker rental, cafe purchases, gift shop purchases, checking children in and out of classes and camps, admission to special exhibits, etc. They could be a thing with a life of, say, 2 or 3 years that you can either use or not use, but they stay with the patron, rather than getting a new one each time.  I have friends who went on their honeymoon to Disney (and did a half marathon and marathon on back to back days-nuts!), and their feeling was that these things are part of a "persona" almost...like a livestrong band or FitBit band, and they keep them as mementos as well as functional items. 

Cheers,
    Tracey 
    Tracey Berg-Fulton
    Collections Database Associate
    Carnegie Museum of Art
    Pittsburgh PA