Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Development Director Bonus/Incentive Plan

Posted 11-18-2014 05:49 PM
    We are getting ready to hire a Development Director for the first time, and my Board wants me to inquire about existing/successful Incentive Plans or Bonus schedules for similar positions.  We know we don't want to directly tie a percentage commission to the salary, but we would like to find a creative incentive plan to add to the base salary we are offering.  Any suggestions?

-------------------------------------------
    Karen McClaflin
    Executive Director
    California Automobile Museum
    Sacramento CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Development Director Bonus/Incentive Plan

Posted 11-19-2014 07:55 AM
    A "bonus schedule" smells too much like a percentage, which is considered unethical. Presumably your board wants all employees to invest their full time and attention to their work at all times, for which they should then be fairly compensated. 

Deborah Smith
    Development Director
    Eastport ME

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Development Director Bonus/Incentive Plan

Posted 11-20-2014 07:36 PM
    This question is outside of my area of focus, but I agree based on what I've seen that most substantial gifts or endowments are the product of long-term relationships.  In some cases, those relationships become so important that if the development director leaves the museum, sometimes the donors follow them out the door.  It is also worth considering the possible effect on other staff members whose pay has no bonus structure or any other means of advancement.  The compensation of registrars, exhibit preparators, visitor services and security personnel doesn't change if a big contribution comes in or if ticket sales go through the roof due to the exhibit that just opened.  Internal equity can be a big deal, especially in an institution with relatively small staff.  Just my $0.02 worth...

Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions
    Bozeman MT