Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  cleaning and sanitizing interactive exhibit elements

Posted 01-21-2022 12:56 PM
    Colleagues:
    Can anyone tell me what the latest best practices and protocols are for cleaning and sanitizing interactive exhibit elements? Is there a document or article anyone can point me to?
    I have a client who is new to the use of interactive exhibit elements and I want to be able to share what best practices are based on current experiences during the time of Covid and all its variants.

Thanks in advance.

Mimi Quintanilla, Principal
    Quintanilla Schmidt Consulting
    P. O. Box 90842
    San Antonio, Texas 78209-9091
    210-240-9865
    Mimi@quinsch.com
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: cleaning and sanitizing interactive exhibit elements

Posted 01-24-2022 07:16 AM
    Modern touch screens by major manufacturers can all be sanitized with 70% alcohol, standard "rubbing" alcohol. Blow or gently wipe away any visible dirt or dust on the screen to prevent scratching. Wet a non-abrasive cloth (I prefer a "micro-fiber" towel) with a mist of 70% alcohol. Wet the screen with the towel. Let sit for 1 minute. Then gently wipe dry. Do not use a higher alcohol concentration. 

Here is an Elo Touch article on the subject, but all major manufacturers follow similar guidance. https://www.elotouch.com/support/technical-support/cleaning

This is good for touch screens and glass, but I do not recommend alcohol on other surfaces. You will need a sanitizing cleaner approved for the particular surface.

------------------------------
    Tod Hopkins
    Technical Director
    Hillmann & Carr Inc.
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: cleaning and sanitizing interactive exhibit elements

Posted 01-24-2022 10:07 AM
    We have a free resource on our website on how to clean and disinfect exhibits that might be helpful. You can find it here: https://taylorstudios.com/resources

Betty Brennan
    President
    Taylor Studios, Inc.
    Rantoul IL
    bbrennan@taylorstudios.com