Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Vermont Art Online - Virtual Museum Tours

Posted 03-26-2020 12:53 PM
    Yesterday two of my colleagues here at Middlebury -- our Curator of Asian Art Sarah Laursen and our Sabarsky Graduate Fellow Sarah Briggs -- launched a new initiative, www.vermontartonline.org, which lets families, students, educators, and the public enjoy Vermont's museums and galleries from the comfort and safety of their own homes. Vermont Art Online offers virtual 360-degree tours of participating cultural sites as well as ideas for and links to videos, classes, and online arts activities that people can do at home. If you're looking for ways to keep up your museum-going while you shelter in place, there's plenty of culture to take in here. Stay safe and healthy!

------------------------------
    Douglas Perkins
    Associate Director, Operations and Finance
    Middlebury College Museum of Art
    Middlebury, VT
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Vermont Art Online - Virtual Museum Tours

Posted 03-27-2020 10:18 AM
    Thanks for posting this. we're in Vermont every summer (my wife is a Vermonter and our son thinks it's the best), but I've already discovered places we've never visited..What a good idea!

Bill Barrett
    Director
    May Gallery, Webster University
    Saint Louis MO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Vermont Art Online - Virtual Museum Tours

Posted 03-27-2020 05:15 PM
    Wow! This is amazing and so impressive. How you were able to create this virtual experience so quickly and elegantly is beyond me. May I ask if you worked with a team or company to do this? It is something my museum (The Asian Art Museum in SF) may consider down the road.

Nora Grant
    Project Manager for Exhibitions
    Asian Art Museum of San Francisco
    San Francisco CA

• 4.  RE: Vermont Art Online - Virtual Museum Tours

Posted 03-30-2020 12:34 PM
    Agreed, the work you did Doug, throughout Vermont, is great, the images are beautiful interface and additional content is clean and easy to use.
    We too are here to help if museums or historic homes would like to make a virtual tour from scratch, such as the Asian Art Museum, which we love.
    During lockdown, we can assist remotely by sending prepared, simple, 360 equipment to you and work with you during your shoot via video conference that you can send back and we will do the programing with that footage and any existing content that you already have. Happy to chat on the phone about how to get a virtual 360 tour up and running in a couple weeks. You can check out more here if you think it could be helpful. gmcurley.com/360-tours

Geoffrey Curley
    Principal
    Geoffrey M. Curley + Associates
    Saint Paul MN

• 5.  RE: Vermont Art Online - Virtual Museum Tours

Posted 03-30-2020 02:32 PM
    Nora,

This was done in-house by two of my colleagues -- our Curator of Asian Art Sarah Laursen and our Sabarsky Graduate Fellow Sarah Briggs. They developed a workflow, sent detailed procedural instructions to orgs that wanted to participate, collected the content from participants, and built the site themselves in the span of roughly a week to ten days, I believe. If you'd like to learn more about their process and the platforms they've used, contact me off-list  -- deperkin@middlebury.edu -- and I'll connect you.

Cheers!
    Douglas.

Douglas Perkins
    Associate Director, Operations and Finance
    Middlebury College Museum of Art
    Middlebury, VT