Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Wheelchairs

Posted 07-27-2021 03:07 PM

Does anyone have recent experience buying wheelchairs for your museum?  What do you recommend for quality, durability, and higher weight capacity?  Is there anything else I should be considering?  I've been in charge of visitor services at my museum for many years and this is the first time we've needed to buy new wheelchairs!

Thanks,

Trish Balderson

Manager, Visitor Services & Special Programs

Art Museums of Colonial Williamsburg

pbalderson@cwf.org

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Help support the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, a private, not-for-profit 501(c)(3) educational institution.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Wheelchairs

Posted 07-28-2021 08:37 AM
    Hello! I purchased new wheelchairs for my Museum back in 2019/2020. We like to have at least 5-6 wheelchairs available at any given time-- sometimes the demand exceeds that, especially in the busy summer months, but we do like to remind our guests that they are always welcome to bring their own mobility devices. Additionally, we like to have at least 1 bariatric wheelchair available for those guests who would not be comfortable/safe in a standard sized wheelchair (if you aren't familiar, bariatric wheelchairs are wider with a higher weight capacity). For all our wheelchairs, we like to make sure that they have both arm rests and leg rests for our guest's comfort and convenience. 

Hope this helps!

------------------------------
    Rachel Owens
    Visitor Services Coordinator
    National Air & Space Museum - Smithsonian Institution
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Wheelchairs

Posted 07-30-2021 08:55 PM
    Our gallery is in a library. The library has one or two regular push wheelchairs, and two motorized carts for customers to check out with their library card. The carts do not leave the building (although on request, a staff member may walk out to someone's car if they need it, and bring it back.)

One thing our Maintenance department did was to remove the speed control on the motorized carts. People who were not used to driving them had difficulty controlling them at the higher speeds. *Bonk* The carts only go on the slowest setting now.

If planning an exhibit layout, considering a little extra space for someone to back up or maneuver the carts is a good idea. If a very large stroller (like for twins) can navigate the space, the cart can usually do it also. This also allows for users of bariatric, or the larger motorized wheelchairs with a longer wheel base, to navigate the space comfortably. 36" is "legal" for wheelchair access, but 40 - 48" is comfortable. And safer for fragile displays.

Sherry Best
    Collection Curator
    Alice C. Sabatini Gallery - Topeka & Shawnee Co. Public Library
    Topeka KS

• 4.  RE: Wheelchairs

Posted 08-02-2021 10:21 AM
      |   view attached
    Remember that ADA mandates a 60" circle in which to turn a wheelchair.  I have attached an ADA Checklist that aligns with the most recent Standards.  Scroll through it to find multiple places that discuss and provide an illustration of minimum ADA requirements for wheelchairs.

And, yes, arm rests and leg/foot rests can add to comfort but make sure that each can be removed to allow for exceptions and/or easy transfer in and out of the chair.

Also important to check with the Americans with Disabilities Act and your local and state's most recent Building Codes.  Usually, the more stringent code applies.

The U.S. Department of Justice provides information about the ADA through a toll-free ADA Information Line and can answer just about any question:
    800-514-0301 (voice)
    800-514-0383 (TTY)

In addition, please make note that there are regional Disability and Business Technical Assistance Centers (DBTAC) in the United States that can help with just about anything related to the ADA and disability. 

Call 800-949-4232 (Voice / TTY ) and you will be automatically be connected to the DBTAC in the region from which you are calling! Or log into   https://adata.org/find-your-region

DBTACs exist to provide the following services:
    1. ADA Education and Training
    2. Material Dissemination
    3. Information and Referral
    4. Public Awareness
    5. Local Capacity Building
    Those answering the phone can usually answer questions while referring you elsewhere for more complex issues.

Terrie Nolinske, Ph.D.
    Principal, TNI Consultants LLC
    813. 973. 2102
    tni@tniconsultants.com
    Tampa, FL

Attachment(s)

pdf
    ADA-Checklist 2010.pdf   3.04 MB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Wheelchairs

Posted 07-28-2021 12:33 PM

We have oversized wheelchair. One thing to  consider, the space between exhibit cases and maneuvering the wheelchair(s). be sure there is enough space to navigate so as to not compromise the safety of the items on display.

Another thing to consider, the comfort of the wheelchair. You might take into account, the seat might need comfort padding. Most chairs I've encountered had seats that were not comfortable after sitting in them a short time. Have you thought about cushion, i.e.,  foam vs gel?

This is a short list of ideas to consider. There are lots of sites if you consider attention to details. Good luck on your pursuit.

–Clarrita Stevenson Huhugam Heritage Center Gila River Indian Reservation Arizona

• 6.  RE: Wheelchairs

Posted 07-29-2021 11:16 AM
    Good afternoon, having been involved in the purchase of wheelchairs for the Field Museum for several years I would highly recommend sticking with the same brand of wheelchairs if possible. This allows the swapping of parts as wheelchairs become worn out over time. Armrests, wheels, foot rests are all subject to breakage and rot over a period of time, and sometimes combining two broken chairs into one working chair is a nice luxury to have.

We try to keep two types of wheelchairs in stock, a slightly larger than standard seat size at 20" as well as larger heavy duty wheelchairs with a seat size of 26". We have also now began the purchasing of child size wheelchairs, but have not yet put them into service.

Good luck

William Maas
    Guest Relations Rep. I
    Field Museum of Natural History
    Chicago IL