Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Special cleaning material for Collections Storage Floors?

Posted 11-30-2021 09:06 AM
    Good morning,

I wanted to know what people use to mop or clean collections storage floors? I vacuum every other week or so but I think it could benefit from a wet-product clean and I wasn't sure if any of the too chemically cleaners, like swiffer wet wipes, were appropriate to use.

Thanks,
    Luke

------------------------------
    Luke Perez
    Curator of Collections
    College Park Aviation Museum
    College Park MD
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Special cleaning material for Collections Storage Floors?

Posted 12-01-2021 10:44 AM
    Good day,

The longer that dirt is allowed to remain on a surface, the more difficult it will be to clean.  It's recommended that floors be mopped down daily.  When this is done you don't need to use anything else beside a microfiber pad and water.  The microfiber pad needs only to be wet and not dripping.  In the event that there is a spill or accident that warrants a cleaning agent then start with a mild soap and clean the surface as quickly as possible.  Don't use anything that has an odor such as ammonia.

Thank you,

James Balsitis
    Director of Facilities
    Santa Barbara CA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Special cleaning material for Collections Storage Floors?

Posted 12-02-2021 11:00 AM
    1. Below is some general guidance for housekeeping in collections storage.  The CCHAA provides a helpful guide: https://ccaha.org/resources/collection-housekeeping-guide.

Housekeeping is a vital part of collections storage. Establish and follow a housekeeping plan to ensure that collections storage spaces are properly maintained.

MICHELE F. PACIFICO
    Archival Facilities Consultant
    PO Box 1490, Jackson, WY 83001
    301-908-8720

• 4.  RE: Special cleaning material for Collections Storage Floors?

Posted 12-03-2021 08:38 AM
    Edited by Luke Perez 12-03-2021 08:46 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions so far, everyone!

Luke Perez
    Curator of Collections
    College Park Aviation Museum
    College Park MD