Open Forum

View Only

Call for House Museum Survey participants in CA, FL, MO, OK, SC, and TX

• 1.  Call for House Museum Survey participants in CA, FL, MO, OK, SC, and TX

Posted 11-15-2019 11:39 AM

My name is Rachel Wilson. I am a Master of Historic Preservation graduate student at Clemson University and I am conducting a survey for my graduate thesis on natural disaster preparedness in house museums. I am looking to understand the prevalence of natural disaster planning in house museums and historic sites across the United States.  I am collecting responses from house museums and historic sites in California, Florida, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Texas.

If this sounds like your house museum , I would appreciate your participation in the survey. It should take no longer than 15 minutes. It is designed to be completed by someone familiar with the natural disaster planning actions at your museums-this could be the Director, the Facilities Manager, the Head Curator. If you do not hold this position but know someone who does, it would be a great help to pass along this link to anyone you know that could fill it out. The data collected will contain identifiable information, the name of your institution and the location of the museum (state) but all data published will be used in aggregate with no identifying information attached to it. I hope the resulting data will provide a consensus about the preparedness of house museums in the face of ever-increasing natural disasters and severe weather. Click here to complete the survey https://clemson.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9HPj5UKRq26wuC9

We know that natural disasters, both predictable and unpredictable, can be devastating for cultural institutions. The 1966 Arno Flood destroyed millions of volumes and artifacts at Florence's National Library. These volumes had been stored in the basement which was inundated. Brazil's National Museum and Notre Dame burned while thousands watched. Disasters like these are bound to happen, they are a matter of "when" not "if." Large, well-funded museums like the Getty and the MOMA are likely to have comprehensive disaster planning, but does your house museum/historic site? What does it cover? I would like to know; the information you can provide will be invaluable in understanding the prevalence of disaster planning in house museums and historic sites.

Institutions such as house museums hold our cultural heritage. They contain and are expressions of our culture's values and beliefs. They connect us to our past. Predictable and unpredictable threats to the fabric of house museums happen across the United States, from flooding in the Midwest and South to seismic activity and fires in California, and hurricanes across the Southeast. In many cases, the difference between catastrophic damage and manageable damage can be the preparation steps staff take in advance.

I feel that the data that will be gathered by my survey is especially topical given that in the past 10 years a call to action about climate change has been issued by environmentalists, policymakers, politicians, and academics. Data from National Aeronautics and Space Administration and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration have correlated the rise in atmospheric temperature with an increase in extreme weather events like flooding, heavy rainfall, and hurricanes. [1] The increase in extreme weather events makes it imperative for every house museum to take stock of their disaster plans. It is my hope that this thesis can be used by museum professionals and students to call attention to the need for thorough disaster planning. The house museum is a typology all its own; where the historic fabric is integral to the visitor's experience. Everything that can be done, should be done to protect it for future enjoyment.

This survey has been designed by myself and overseen by the Principle Investigator, Amalia Leifeste, Associate Professor of Historic Preservation at Clemson University. Any questions or concerns about the survey can be addressed to me at rw5@g.clemson.edu.

Click here to complete the survey https://clemson.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9HPj5UKRq26wuC9

Thank you and I really appreciate your participation,

Rachel Wilson

------------------------------
    Rachel Wilson
    MSPH 2020 Candidate
    Clemson University
    Charleston SC
    ------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more