Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Call For Panelists: Docents and Death

Posted 04-05-2021 03:57 PM

I'm looking ahead to the upcoming National Docent Symposium and am interested in putting on a panel about a topic important to those of us who manage volunteers which isn't really talked about at all...how the death of volunteers impacts us, our programs, and our museums. I've been facilitating some small discussions with volunteer managers in my region and it's clear that this is a topic is long overdue for conversation on a larger scale. If anyone is interested in exploring creating a panel on this for the upcoming NDS in 2022, please let me know. You don't have to be a content expert or a mental health professional...I'm certainly neither! I plan on using the panel to basically create space for conversation and would really like some help figuring out how to make it work at an in-person conference, and some co-facilitators to make it happen.

Sean

Sean Mobley, (He/Him/His) | Volunteer Coordinator
    The Museum of Flight
    9404 East Marginal Way S
    Seattle, WA 98108
    Work: +1 (206) 768-7151
    www.museumofflight.org

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Call For Panelists: Docents and Death

Posted 04-06-2021 10:10 AM
    What a fascinating topic/concept for a panel. We work with 40+ docents at the Bruce Museum and not just death, but the whole process of aging is something we talk about a lot in my department. Please keep me in the loop as you move forward with planning. Being a docent is often a source of immense pleasure and social interaction for our volunteers and so even as our docents age out of active teaching we work hard to keep them involved in the program. I am currently managing our docents while their full time manager is on leave. I think she will be just as interested as I am in participating in some way 

------------------------------
    Corinne Flax
    Manager of School and Community Partnerships
    Bruce Museum
    Greenwich CT

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Call For Panelists: Docents and Death

Posted 04-06-2021 03:25 PM
    This is an important topic - thank you, Sean, for getting this started. I would be interested in discussing this and thinking about what a panel on this topic might explore. At the Autry Museum, we have 180 docents and 20 additional onsite volunteers.

Be well,
    Sarah S. Wilson

Sarah S. Wilson
    Director of Education
    Autry Museum of the American West
    Direct: 323.495.4309 | swilson@theautry.org

Sarah Wilson
    Director of Education
    Autry Museum of the American West
    Los Angeles CA

• 4.  RE: Call For Panelists: Docents and Death

Posted 04-09-2021 05:25 PM
    Hi Sean,

Thanks for bringing up this difficult topic.  After we saw your post, a few of us on the board of the American Association for Museum Volunteers were discussing how much this conversation is needed in our field. Please count AAMV in to help, however we can.

Best,

Jenny Woods
    President, AAMV
    jgwoodster@gmail.com

Jenny Woods
    Seattle, WA

• 5.  RE: Call For Panelists: Docents and Death

Posted 04-09-2021 07:05 PM

Thank you Jenny. I'm also noticing that the invite I sent to our local group bounced back, so I don't know that you ever got an invite. Let me rectify that!

Sean Mobley, (He/Him/His) | Volunteer Coordinator
    The Museum of Flight
    9404 East Marginal Way S
    Seattle, WA 98108
    Work: +1 (206) 768-7151
    www.museumofflight.org

• 6.  RE: Call For Panelists: Docents and Death

Posted 04-12-2021 09:02 AM
    Hi Sean,

At The Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota, FL, we currently have 430 volunteers and 120 of them serve as docents.  When I first joined the staff of the museum 17 years ago, I was completely unprepared to manage circumstances related to volunteer aging and death as I had no personal or professional experiences to draw from.  It's a part of the job that no one wants to discuss - certainly not up front - and yet it's something we deal with on a regular basis.

Having conversations around this difficult topic is so important, and I would welcome the opportunity to be a part of this. 

Best,
    Hollie

Hollie Corbitt
    Volunteer Program Coordinator
    John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art
    Sarasota FL

• 7.  RE: Call For Panelists: Docents and Death

Posted 04-14-2021 03:52 PM
    I happened on your post and I know of a museum that has dealt with this topic in a consistently upfront and honest manner: the WW2 Museum in New Orleans. I volunteered there for 5 years, and in that time many of the (500+) volunteers have died--some WW2 vets; a death is always recognized and made public in a personal yet organizational manner that gives other volunteers a way to mark the passing. The WW2 has a dynamite volunteer staff who would probably be willing to share their thoughts and experiences on this topic.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Schexnyder MLS
    Curator
    National Hansen's Disease Museum
    Baton Rouge LA

• 8.  RE: Call For Panelists: Docents and Death

Posted 04-15-2021 03:50 PM
    Thank you all for continuing the conversation and your interest. It's clear there's a lot of great work we can do here.

Sean Mobley
    Volunteer Coordinator/Podcast Host
    Museum of Flight
    Seattle WA

• 9.  RE: Call For Panelists: Docents and Death

Posted 04-15-2021 12:22 PM
    Thank you Sean - I am definitely interested in this topic Sean. Our Docent Program is over 50 years old and we have certainly experienced a lot of loss of many of our volunteers over the years. Being a docent has been so important in the lives of these people and it is also felt by their families. 
    Especially during this Covid time when docents have not been gathering as a group and giving many real tours in the Museum so many of expressed the loss of connection with others and the art that they love SO much. The sharing and caring that is so evident . We have quite a large group of retired docents who still participate in programs( via zoom) and study groups.
    Please keep me informed on information on this topic.
    thank you - take good care.
    Mary Ann Monley
    Administrator of Volunteer Services and Tours
    Memorial Art Gallery
    Rochester, NY 14607

Mary Ann Monley
    Administrator of Volunteer Services and Tours
    Memorial Art Gallery of Rochester
    Rochester NY

• 10.  RE: Call For Panelists: Docents and Death

Posted 04-26-2021 04:44 PM

Mr. Mobley,

Thank you for putting the call out. Here at the National Naval Aviation Museum, we have a civilian volunteer corps (many of whom are retired veterans) of more than 300 members. I directly supervise 35 in the library, and during my 6 years here, I've lost 7 volunteers in addition to those from other departments.

This is an important topic, and I'm willing to help or provide input from our experiences as well.

Kind regards,
    Marc

Marc Levitt MLS
    Archivist
    National Naval Aviation Museum
    NAS Pensacola FL