Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Virtual Reality exhibit equipment

Posted 06-18-2021 09:40 AM

Good morning everyone!

In 2019 (it may have been 2018-I was not part of the planning process for this particular project) my museum began the planning of a virtual reality experience that was slated to open in 2020. The physical construction, design, and installation was about 95% ready to go when the pandemic hit and everything was shutdown. Administration has decided that we will open this exhibit experience in the very near future.

However, we are looking for more information on how best to keep the headsets clean and sanitized. The manufacturer of the headsets provided a spray that they said should reside at the station for visitors to use to clean them before/after they are done using said headsets. My colleague who is overseeing the final steps of installation believes the cleaning spray is designed for the physical hard-case of the headset only. We are loath to have this spray left on the exhibit for visitors to use because:

1. constant use of the spray would introduce potential materials/particles into the air within the galleries
    2. the spray is labeled as needing to be kept out of the reach of children
    3. with museum staffing levels severely reduced because of Covid, we do not have the ability to continually monitor who is using the spray and how much they are using
    4. the spray would damage the custom wood-work station built for this experience
    5. the interior of the headsets are cloth and the spray would just keep them damp

Do any of you have these types of experiences up and running in your museum? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

------------------------------
    Nicole Markham
    Curator of Collections
    International Tennis Hall of Fame
    Newport RI
    markham@tennisfame.com
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Virtual Reality exhibit equipment

Posted 06-21-2021 10:54 AM
    Hello,

I've thought about this as well and wondered if some type of reusable 'interface' might be the solution.  Application of disinfectants long term doesn't seem sustainable to me.

Here is what I had come up with as a start and then did some work on how to scale it up and make it reusable, (i.e., a pair of plastic 3D glasses you wash after each use).

R,

Loren Ybarrondo

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Virtual Reality exhibit equipment

Posted 06-21-2021 04:28 PM
    Hello Nicole >

The maintenance and management of VR headsets in a museum environment has definitely become difficult to impossible since Covid. I've read your description of the installation and have a few questions. First, what sort of VR headsets are you using? How many of them do you plan to deploy? You write "We are loath to have this spray left on the exhibit for visitors to use..." From this it seems that you don't plan to have a member of staff handing out the devices to visitors, starting or stopping the experience or making sure the units are cleaned between use and remain sufficiently charged. For the best visitor experience you should have staff there to assist them with putting on and fitting the headsets, and to clean them after each use.

Clean Box Technologies has a UV light solution that's used by many location based entertainment providers that use VR headsets.

https://cleanboxtech.com

However, it's not equipment that visitors should operate.

Best,

Michael Owen
    MediaCombo
    michael@mediacombo.net

[Robin White] [Owen]
    [Principal]
    [www.mediacombo.net]
    [robin@mediacombo.net]
    [646-472-5145]