Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Museum Evaluation template

Posted 10-17-2019 12:10 PM
    Hi all, I am looking for some simple examples of museum education program evaluation templates. I realize that these things are not one size fits all, but I am hoping to find a few different examples to show the director of the museum where I work some options for pre/mid/post program evaluations. Any links or examples are welcome. I am Googling away as well, but thought I would post here too.  Thanks.

------------------------------
    Sarah Freeman
    Exhibitions Manager
    Brattleboro Museum & Art Center
    Brattleboro VT
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum Evaluation template

Posted 10-18-2019 08:36 AM
    You are looking for museum surveys? I ask, because we survey visitors at most of our special events. That's how we analyze on whether to improve or change a program/activity/event.

Pamela Morales
    Communications Officer
    Museum of South Texas History
    Edinburg TX

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum Evaluation template

Posted 10-18-2019 10:41 AM

Hi Pamela,

Thanks for responding. I am looking less for specific surveys and more for evaluation frameworks, for example Inspiring Learning for All , a toolkit for evaluating arts organizations/programs. 

Sarah Freeman
    Exhibitions Manager
    Brattleboro VT

• 4.  RE: Museum Evaluation template

Posted 10-18-2019 12:32 PM
    Hi Sarah,

Be sure to check the Committee on Audience Research and Evaluation (CARE part of AAM), Visitor Studies Association (VSA) and Informalscience.org (not only science resources). You should certainly join CARE if you are at all interested in pursuing evaluation at your institution. There are many publications that can be helpful as well; you can find a list of articles and books on CARE or VSA websites. 

Ellen Giusti
    Tel: 212 876-1425
    Cell: 917 885-2614

• 5.  RE: Museum Evaluation template

Posted 10-18-2019 01:01 PM
    The evaluation resources at informalscience.org are great! If you want to do a targeted search for specific examples, I recommend you enter "instrument" and narrow to the resource type "Research and Evaluation Instruments": Also, here's a quick template and some usage guidance: NISE Network Evaluation Tools

Cecilia Nguyen
    Exhibit Developer
    Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
    Portland OR

• 6.  RE: Museum Evaluation template

Posted 10-21-2019 08:59 AM
    Hi Sarah,

For a very practical "how to" resource, check out Diamond, Luke, & Uttal's "Practical Evaluation Guide." It walks you through different ways to assess what visitors take away from informal learning spaces/experiences. The guide provides great examples of different tools you can use to gather information depending on where the project/program you are assessing is in it's lifespan (conceptual or planning stage, piloting stage, completion stage) and what it is you want to find out. 

RE surveys: they are just one of many tools museum practitioners can use to gather information; they're not necessarily appropriate for every study. However, if you decide that a survey is an appropriate methodology for your particular study/evaluation, I highly recommend Robinson and Leonard's "Designing Quality Survey Questions," an excellent resource on how to compose clear and understandable questions that support the purpose of the survey and measure what you want to measure. Includes lots of great examples.

Best of luck!
    Kirsten

Kirsten Buchner
    Insight Evaluation Services
    kirsten@insighte.net

• 7.  RE: Museum Evaluation template

Posted 10-21-2019 09:33 AM
    Thanks, everyone!

Sarah Freeman
    Exhibitions Manager
    Brattleboro VT

• 8.  RE: Museum Evaluation template

Posted 10-21-2019 11:21 AM
    Committee on Audience Reseach and Evaluation (CARE) provides a great community through Facebook called We CARE! It's a fabulous place to post your evaluation questions. You don't need to be a member of CARE to join, but you will be asked to demonstrate that you are part of the museum field to join.

Marley Steele-Inama
    Director of Audience Research and Evaluation
    Denver Zoo
    Denver CO