Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Learning Management Systems

Posted 09-25-2018 09:53 AM

Good morning,

We are looking for online Learning Management Systems to train our volunteers and staff. So far, we are looking into PiiQ Learning by Cornerstone, Litmos, and Absorb. We are also looking into authoring tools and other ways to create an online learning experience without a big LMS purchase like Google Classroom, Articulate, and Quizlet. If there's something that you use for your staff/volunteers and love, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Lindsey Hammel
    Manager of Volunteer and Visitor Services

Birmingham Museum of Art
    2000 Rev. Abraham Woods, Jr. Blvd.
    Birmingham, AL 35203
    T  205.254.2070

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Learning Management Systems

Posted 09-26-2018 08:50 AM
    I am following as I want to start this for our Junior Volunteer program specifically.
    I'm concerned about costs as well.

------------------------------
    Lauren Furey
    Manager of Visitor Engagement
    Mariners' Museum
    Newport News VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Learning Management Systems

Posted 09-27-2018 02:11 PM
      |   view attached

Hi All,

I've done some research as I'm in the process of deciding on an LMS for the museum (I've used Litmos in the past, but looking for different options.) Feel free to look at the chart attached for a ranking and analysis!

Best,

Lauren

Lauren Girard
    Director of Visitor Services
    Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Museum
    Beverly Hills CA

Attachment(s)

xlsx
    LMS evaluations.xlsx   17 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Learning Management Systems

Posted 09-27-2018 02:15 PM
    Oh, I should also mention that sometimes it's more cost-effective for your budget if you can get multiple departments on board with the system--maybe HR wants to use it for onboarding and annual training (like sexual harassment training for managers, etc.), or maybe the prep team has a safety training they want to upload. 

Basically if multiple departments are absorbing the cost, you can make the case for it. Additionally, there's less use of staff time involved in the training, so you can make the argument that LMS saves money in the long run.

Lauren Girard
    Director of Visitor Services
    Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Museum
    Beverly Hills CA

• 5.  RE: Learning Management Systems

Posted 09-28-2018 10:25 AM
    Thanks so much for sharing your spreadsheet, Lauren! We have an Instructional Design graduate student from a local university searching for a LMS for us and then she will set up the initial courses on the program we choose as her project. Maybe an idea for anyone who is looking into this and has a local university with an Instructional Design program.

Lindsey Hammel
    Manager of Volunteer and Visitor Services
    Birmingham Museum of Art
    Birmingham AL