Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Memberships, Annual Fund or Both

Posted 10-17-2018 05:33 PM

Having another of those discussions with my board about how to increase or even categorize forms of annual giving.  It has been my experience that MOST museums have both a Membership and an Annual Fund drive.  Looking at these as separate from special fundraisers.  My board members seem to feel that it is "double dipping" to ask someone to be a member and then later ask for a donation to the annual fund.  I have tried to explain that with a membership you get something in return in the form of free entry, invitations to special events, discounts on gift shop and facility rental, etc, while an annual fund gift is just a donation that would be added to the revenue taken in from the Donation Box.  Maybe a quick and dirty survey from the hive mind on how your institutions do things.  I am trying to revitalize a moribund institution and keep it both relevant and financially solvent.   Thanks in advance.

David Beard

Executive Director

USS KIDD Veterans Museum

Baton Rouge, LA

225-342-1942, x. 12

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Memberships, Annual Fund or Both

Posted 10-18-2018 08:28 AM
    I would agree that memberships and annual funds are separate. 
    We have both.
    Visitors view memberships maybe as a way to "help" a facility, but primarily as value for them.
    The hope is that members will also become donors/sponsors (again; 2 separate things).
    Yes, it could be viewed as "double-dipping," but the same argument could be made if you want them to attend a program or a fundraiser.
    We classify memberships as Earned Revenue, and annual fund/donations as Unearned. 

Martin

------------------------------
    Martin S. Fisher
    Executive Director
    Science Central
    Fort Wayne, IN

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Memberships, Annual Fund or Both

Posted 10-18-2018 09:06 AM
    Museums I have directed had robust membership programs as well as annual fund appeals.  The boards I reported to never saw a problem with this arrangement as it is customary in our field.   More importantly, we never received complaints from the public about this duality.  I'd say continue and good luck. 

Steve

Steven Miller
    Executive Director Ret.
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

• 4.  RE: Memberships, Annual Fund or Both

Posted 10-19-2018 12:02 PM
    Agree with the annual fund mailing going to members. Members should have the option of making an additional gift if they choose; you are just simplifying the process, and if nothing else, increasing their awareness of the option.Also, consider that this is the simplest form of self-identification of which members are good candidates for increased giving. And remind the board that the member can always choose not to give, but the board should not restrict this opportunity. Best of luck with this!

Karen Mariani
    Membership Consultants
    karenm@membership-consultants.com
    (314) 771-4664

• 5.  RE: Memberships, Annual Fund or Both

Posted 10-22-2018 01:17 PM
    Absolutely included your members in your Annual Giving appeal!   It also helps to have a  general purpose for the money identified in the letter, like after-school educational programs or exhibition upgrades.    You never know what your members (and other donors) think is important, and this gives you one more opportunity to gather some of that information.   I once had a member, who I would have sworn was only interested in the exhibition of the "finer" parts of the collection, walk into my office with a $100 check (a goodly amount for my size museum) after he received our Annual Giving letter that targeted educational programs, saying, "it is so important to do stuff for the kids"!

Janice Klein
    Executive Director
    Museum Association of Arizona
    Tempe AZ

• 6.  RE: Memberships, Annual Fund or Both

Posted 10-23-2018 07:37 AM
    Definitely and offer them ways to give....cash, credit card, appreciated stock, required minimum distribution from an IRA, etc.  on your reply card, include a box to check "I have included XX Museum in my estate plan"

Thomas Gull
    Director of Development
    Frank Lloyd Wright Trust
    Chicago IL

• 7.  RE: Memberships, Annual Fund or Both

Posted 10-23-2018 09:45 AM
    Definitely solicit for both!  As I've always seen and done it, the messaging for each initiative is so different that members see them almost as completely different deserving causes.  Memberships are, for better or worse and especially at the smaller end, more like purchases than philanthropic gifts.  Annual Fund is an opportunity to tap into the philanthropic side of your members -- who often end up being the hottest AF prospects because of their pre-existing connection to your org.  Membership is about benefits for them; AF gives them a chance for them to benefit someone else.  Education programs, initiatives being spearheaded by your curators, community involvement -- as long as the messaging doesn't make it sound like you're asking them for more money again, the risk of overasking is minimal and, frankly, worth the tiny risk that one in a thousand will be annoyed.

Tay Dolan
    Membership and Annual Fund
    Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
    New York NY

• 8.  RE: Memberships, Annual Fund or Both

Posted 10-25-2018 04:19 PM
    In my experience, museum membership forms the primary basis for beginning and building a relationship with a supporter. Once someone is a member, there are now opportunities for the institution to work on upgrades (enticing the member/couple/family to a higher membership level), typically by offering additional perks and benefits that engage the member in something the museum is doing or planning to do. This in turn helps the member to become more familiar with what the institution does, and helps break the ice for them to get to know your leadership team. Including members in annual appeal campaigns is another logical step, as is including members in selected project giving campaigns as well. Basically, you are setting the stage to implement "moves management," providing additional opportunities to engage and interact with a member and covert them to a frequent donor and avid supporter. This can take time, and it requires perseverance, careful planning, and dedication over time. But I believe it's absolutely worth it in terms of long-term results.

Paul Hammond
    Independent Museum Professional
    Riverside, California