Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Museum camp-ins/over nights

Posted 07-12-2018 05:56 PM

The museum I work for is looking to revives and expand our offerings for museum overnights. In the past, we have done a drop off program for up to 20 kids, where parents drop off their kids to stay overnight at the museum. We have also done one Girl Scout overnight where girls came with their scout troop. This allowed for more kids because they had their own adults.

What do your museums do? What do you offer and charge for the overnight? Do you do families and groups? Do you find it to be an issue with mixed gender groups? Thanks in advance for the information!

------------------------------
    Sarah Davis
    Museum Educator

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum camp-ins/over nights

Posted 07-13-2018 10:01 AM
    I've been kicking around the idea of a museum camp-in for my institution as well! I would love to hear what others have to say. :)

Claire Aldenhuysen
    Museum Educator
    National Model Aviation Museum, Academy of Model Aeronautics
    Muncie IN

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum camp-ins/over nights

Posted 07-13-2018 11:52 AM
    We recently tried a sleepover for families at our nature center and preserve but did not have enough guests signed up and had to cancel, I will be interested to hear how other museums have done it. I would love to make it a success in the future.

Hunter Klingensmith
    Visitor Experience coordinator
    Swaner Preserve and EcoCenter
    Park City UT

• 4.  RE: Museum camp-ins/over nights

Posted 07-13-2018 02:57 PM
    We've offered sleepover programs in various formats for more than 20 years. They are popular and successful. The link below has some more information:

Sleepover Program | Museum of Flight
    Museumofflight remove preview
    Sleepover Program | Museum of Flight
    Spend the night at The Museum of Flight! Our Sleepover Program is a night full of fun and educational activities including a rocket building activity, a personalized after-hours tour of the Museum's galleries and your choice of a 1-hour Flying Gizmo show, 1-hour Planetarium show or a 2-hour interactive space or flight program in either our Challenger or Aviation Learning Center.
    View this on Museumofflight >

Rich Lienesch
    Associate Director
    Museum of Flight
    Seattle WA

• 5.  RE: Museum camp-ins/over nights

Posted 07-15-2018 08:19 AM
    ​We have had a camp-in program here at The Franklin Institute for over 20 years and it is a very successful program that normally runs from January to May. Check out our website for more details!

Camp-In
    The Franklin Institute remove preview
    Camp-In
    The Franklin Institute's Camp-in is the perfect sleepover event for children ages 6-13 and provides an unforgettable experience for families, scout troops, school groups, birthday parties, and more! Where else can you sleep next to a Giant Heart or a 350-ton locomotive?
    View this on The Franklin Institute >

Joel Marquart
    Exhibit Operations Lead Technician
    The Franklin Institute
    Philadelphia PA

• 6.  RE: Museum camp-ins/over nights

Posted 07-16-2018 10:13 AM

At the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology we offer two kinds of overnight experiences: one for groups (like Girl Guides, families, etc.) and the other purely for school groups. They are highly successful and sell out frequently. I often get people telling me stories about "that time I slept with the dinosaurs."

Here is some information about both of programs:

Camp-Ins (public groups)Royal Tyrrell Museum | Programs | Camp-Ins

Tyrrellmuseum remove preview
    Royal Tyrrell Museum | Programs | Camp-Ins
    Snore with the dinosaurs! Spend the night under the watchful eye of your favourite dinosaur and see what happens when the lights go out at the Museum. Families groups, and organizations welcome.
    View this on Tyrrellmuseum >

Edutours (for schools): Royal Tyrrell Museum | Programs | School Programs | Museum Programs | Edutours
    Tyrrellmuseum remove preview
    Royal Tyrrell Museum | Programs | School Programs | Museum Programs | Edutours
    Sleep with the dinosaurs at the Royal Tyrrell Museum! This two-day field trip at the Royal Tyrrell Museum brings science to life with educational activities making learning a blast.
    View this on Tyrrellmuseum >

Lisa Making
    Director, Exhibits & Communications
    Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology
    Drumheller AB