Open Forum

• 1.  Museum Career Ideas

Posted 05-28-2016 07:49 PM

So I currently work three jobs (one of them is at a museum in Boston as a substitute museum guide).

I have a bachelors degree in history and am struggling to get by. I noticed that most history majors need a masters degrees to make above $30,000. With my heavy student loans I need to make more money. I noticed that the only job I can obtain with a bachelors degree in history that pays above $30,000 is a Museum Technician Position or Registrar, but I need 3-5 years of experience in the field to even be considered for a position. Moreover, I refuse to go back to school because my debt is so high.

What are some other history related careers at museums that one can work with a bachelors degree which pays above $30,000? How do I gain experience in those positions so that a museum would consider me for the career?

------------------------------
    Nyadenya Inyagwa
    Substitute Guide/Retail Sales Associate/Entrepreneur
    Paul Revere Memorial Association
    Boston MA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum Career Ideas

Posted 05-29-2016 04:16 PM

Hi, Nyadenya.

I know what you mean when you don't want to go back to school for a Master's because that's just more debt but I personally believe it's worth it. (I mean, you'd make more money with a Masters). Many careers these days requires you to atleast have a Master's unfortunately. 

Since you have a degree History (which is what I'm currently pursuing), you have to ask yourself where in the timeline of history had your most interest? For me, my most favorite timeline is WW2/Nazi Germany/Holocaust. Basically the early 1930s to the mid 1940s and then some. Also interested European History.

In a couple of weeks, I'm getting a tour at the Illinois Holocaust Museum and hopefully by this time next year, I'll have an internship. Worse comes to worse, volunteering. I plan to pursue in a Master's in Museum Studies or a couple of Master's in History and Painting depending on which school I'll go too. I will look at more museum to get a internship but as stated earlier, ww2 events is my thing in the Holocaust Museum is already my #1 pick.  I recommend that you to find what's the best history topic for you and find that museum or something similar to it and work your way up.  

It's your choice to not go for a Masters but I think it always helps to have the highest education you can get. If you do find a place that interest you but they require a Master's, just go for it. If you want something bad enough, you will go to the struggle. 

Daniel Williams
    Museum Volunteer
    Macomb IL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum Career Ideas

Posted 05-30-2016 08:19 AM

Hi Nyadenya,

Have you looked into the education or programs departments of museums and science centers yet, most of the people staffing those positions have a Bachelors of Science or Arts degree in various fields of study. For example here is a position in Boston that you may want to look into:

Fellow, Early Childhood Education - Boston, MA

Good luck with your search!

Joel

Joel Marquart
    Exhibit Operations Lead Technician
    The Franklin Institute
    Philadelphia PA

• 4.  RE: Museum Career Ideas

Posted 05-30-2016 10:07 AM

Hi Nyadenya,

Have you considered looking into grant writing or fundraising? I have my BA in History, and an MA in Public History, and I've found grant/proposal writing to be a good match for the skill sets I honed while earning my degrees.  Typically training as a historian will teach you to read and think critically, to research, and to write persuasively (with an argument!). These skills are great to have when it comes to working on grants.  Public history as a field is really about interpretation, which is just as critical when you're speaking to donors/funders as when you're designing programs and exhibits for a general audience.

I know fundraising might not seem like the dream career (it was terrifying to me at first), but if you can find the right institution to match your interests it can really be quite fulfilling. You become the advocate of all of the great work your museum's curators, educators, and staff does while getting the larger philanthropic community excited about your museum's mission.

As to the necessity of the Master's degree, well... that's complicated. Student debt is a real hardship, and I took on a lot to get my MA. If I had a time machine, I think I'd go back and force my post-bachelor's self to volunteer, intern, and explore the Museum field much more than I had. I might have chosen a different MA program, or a different MA field altogether. In-the-field experience is worth it's weight in gold. And yes, it's ridiculous that our field mainly offers non-paid internships to seek out that experience.

Well, on that note - BEST OF LUCK!!!

Laura Heiman
    Manager of Major Gifts
    Fernbank Museum of Natural History
    Atlanta GA

• 5.  RE: Museum Career Ideas

Posted 05-31-2016 11:59 AM

Most of the jobs I have found that I would be interested in applying for stay "Bachelors required, Masters Preferred." Since I am a recent graduate, I tend to avoid even applying for those jobs. But I think with most of those jobs, the only thing that would trump a master's degree would be experience. 

As for looking for entry-level positions that pay well, I would recommend looking at the largest museum. Like the state historical society's or the museums that have hundreds of staff. I watch the Minnesota Historical Society's job site frequently and they always have "Assistant ___" or "Program Assistant, ___" that don't require Master's. If you also look at smaller museums, they may not always be looking for graduate level education. 

Jakob H. Etrheim
    Collections Assistant
    Kandiyohi County Historical Society Museum
    Willmar, MN

• 6.  RE: Museum Career Ideas

Posted 06-01-2016 12:06 PM

I wish I had a brilliant suggestion for crossing the salary threshold, but I'm afraid I don't.  Unfortunately, finding an entry level museum job that you can afford to do (i.e. you can live on the salary) is one of the more challenging aspects of working in museums, especially in museums located in cities with high costs of living.  Salaries are frequently (but not always) tied to managerial responsibilities of some kind, which means that in order to move up the pay scale, sometimes you need to become somebody's boss.  That's hard to do from the bottom rung of the ladder, and it can take a long time.  Sometimes, there's not much of a ladder to climb, as many positions with higher salaries are director-level positions (marketing, development, etc.) and are filled by external searches rather than by promoting from within the institution.  This can be out of necessity in some cases (a preparator is probably not the best choice for a development director, nor would they want the job).

In some respects, the museum sector shares issues similar to those of the corporate sector.  The median individual income in the U.S. is about $27K/year, which would suggest that there are a great many people working in all jobs that struggle to hit the $30K target that you're seeking.  I don't mean to suggest that museum staff just aren't worth any more, but this statistic does put things into context within the larger economic picture. 

The museum field also suffers from the "dream job" phenomenon.  People who want to work in a museum are often very passionate about their field of study, and often have near zero passion for working in retail, insurance, finance, or other types of jobs.  Having a job that they feel is meaningful to society and personally fulfilling to them is a high priority, and some are willing to make financial sacrifices in order to have that kind of job.  Those sacrifices may be acceptable for someone who is 22, but they get harder to make when things like buying a home or starting a family come into the picture.  Some find a marital solution.  I've seen more than a few dedicated museum professionals whose ability to work for modest pay is enabled by the significantly higher income of their spouse in another profession.  An education coordinator can work for $26K/year when they're married to an anesthesiologist. 

I hope that this doesn't sound like I'm trying to chase you away from the museum field.  It can be very rewarding, and is populated by a lot of very fun and interesting people.  However, these realities are part of the picture, and I think that it's important to bring them into the discussion.  Acknowledging and talking about the difficulties is the first step to positive change.  Most of the people I know who have worked long-term in the museum world have career paths that aren't exactly linear.  But they've found a way to make it, and I think that you can as well.  

- Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions
    Bozeman MT

• 7.  RE: Museum Career Ideas

Posted 06-02-2016 09:36 AM

Michael,

Thank you for articulating so well the fact of museum life! 

I wonder how the ratio of museum CEO and director correlates to the private sector. It was on average 20:1 in 1950, now its 200:1.

This is an issue that AAM needs to shed light on. Perhaps I missed that issue of Museum magazine.

Regards,

Edward Malouf
    Principal
    Content•Design Collaborative LLC

• 8.  RE: Museum Career Ideas

Posted 06-30-2016 07:51 PM

Hey it is Nyadenya O F Inyagwa. I want to thank everybody for their wonderful advise. I decided to work my way to  full-time at the New England Aquarium through Sharpshooter Imaging as a Sales Photographer and as a per-contract archivist through Boston Institute for Non-Profit Journalism. I am making enough money to pay all my bills now except I am still struggling with food. In the attempt to utilize my history degree and explore my hobbies, I am exploring YouTube and DeviantArt by making historic, Godly, and sport posts. I want to start an entrepreneur pursuit.  I did take everyone's advice into consideration and have decided to interview at Art Galleries in Boston for end-of-the-week-work, in collections (as a volunteer). I think it is always good to learn new things.

Nyadenya Inyagwa
    Substitute Guide/Retail Sales Associate/Entrepreneur
    Paul Revere Memorial Association
    Boston MA

• 9.  RE: Museum Career Ideas

Posted 07-01-2016 11:22 AM

As pointed out by another respondent, advancement is often a problem, not only in an individual institution, but even in the same city.  Through two careers, first as an archaeologist and now as a museum professional, I have lived in 12 different states and a couple of those more than once in pursuit of better job opportunities.  But it sounds like you have struck on a multi-pronged solution so that you can stay where you are.  Good luck.

David Beard
    Director
    Museum of the Gulf Coast
    Port Arthur TX