Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

• 1.  Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-18-2017 05:06 PM
    Folks:

In the near future, a colleague and I will be carrying out a conservation treatment on a museum object, over several days, in the gallery space at the museum.  We would like to post a sign that politely asks the visitors not to pester us while we work sign.  I'm wondering if anyone has any examples of such signs they've used in their museums?

Thanks.

Sue Maltby, Conservator
    Maltby & Associates Inc.
    Adjunct Faculty, Museum Studies Programme/Faculty of Information, University of Toronto
    174 Spadina Ave., # 602
    Toronto, Ontario
    M5T 2C2
    416-921-2877

------------------------------
    Susan Maltby
    Conservator
    Toronto ON
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-19-2017 08:33 AM
    In the past, I've used opportunities like this one to educate the public. Generally speaking, the average visitor has no idea what kind of work we do in museums and I'm sure people will be completely fascinated with the conservation process. There's a reason the 'fish bowl' at the La Brea Tar Pits is one of the most popular 'exhibits'. 

Instead of making a sign asking them to not ask questions, I recommend stationing volunteers/docents in the room to field questions so you and your colleague can concentrate on your work. More than likely any signage will be ignored and you'll be bothered anyway. This way, people can learn more about the importance of conservation and also what a freaking cool job you have!!! :)

Claire Aldenhuysen
    Museum Educator
    National Model Aviation Museum, Academy of Model Aeronautics
    Muncie IN

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-19-2017 08:45 AM

Hi Susan! A few ideas:

The main reason visitors bother conservators in galleries is that they have curiosity about the work - so finding a way to address that honest curiosity would be helpful. 

1. Is there any possibility of having a staff interpreter or volunteer present to answer visitor questions while you work - perhaps having examples of your work, touchables, before/after photos? 
    2. If not, what about creating an interpretive surround? Work with education staff to research or anticipate questions that visitors are likely to ask, and prepare interpretive signage describing what is going on. For example, What's happening here? Why is this needed? What tools are the conservators using? Why do they need to concentrate so carefully? Isn't that boring? How long does it take? Do you have to go to school for that? Etc. 
    3. Use humor in requests not to "bother" conservators. Maybe play with some fun ideas about why you're not interacting with visitors. It would be fun to brainstorm around this a little - maybe riffing on construction-site signs, using informal language like "we're not ignoring you - we're just ____". (wish I were feeling more creative right now, but an hour of brainstorming could probably give you some friendly, fun language.
    4. Stanchioning can help, depending on the gallery arrangement. If you have a space defined with stanchions and perhaps a small work table, and make sure it gives you a buffer or more than 6 feet or so, people will be less likely to talk directly to you because they'd have to raise their voices. 

Good luck with your project! 

Michelle Moon
    Director of Interpretation and Program Evaluation
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 4.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-19-2017 10:03 AM
    Hello,

If you were to rope off the area and place a sign explaining what was going on.  For example , the humans working on the chair with power tools, sand paper, etc. are known as conservators. This is what they are doing xxxxxxxxxx.  We kindly ask that you do not disturb them while they work. They only have x time to complete this project. If you have a question plz ask at the front desk.  Plz come back in x time and see if they reached their goal.

Jean Schuler
    Art Teacher
    LBJ Museum San Marcos
    San Marcos TX

• 5.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-19-2017 10:12 AM
    Hi Susan,

Last time I visited the AGO, I saw a sign posted about conservators working in the space. It was politely worded, something along the lines of “Our staff is working to restore this [artifact/painting/etc.]. We need to focus closely on our work to do the best job we can.” I saw people peeking in briefly but not engaging with conservators.

Best,
    Catherine

PhD Student, Learning Sciences
    University of Wisconsin–Madison
    Interactive Learning and Design Lab
    cldornfeld@wisc.edu

• 6.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-19-2017 10:21 AM
    What is your purpose of doing this if not to demonstrate/interpret the process? You need to have a docent posted nearby to answer questions and interact with visitors. Or maybe the staff need to understand that, like anyone else demonstrating a craft/trade in an exhibit space, you don't get a lot done during open hours, but you educate the public about the process.

Beth Hansen
    Easton MD

• 7.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-19-2017 10:29 AM
    Conservators at the Philadelphia Museum of Art are engaged in cleaning the huge Chagal "tapestry" in its west entry hall.  They are on view and a sign explains what they are doing.

Steve

Steven Miller
    Executive Director
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

• 8.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-19-2017 10:58 AM
    Hello Sue, 

While I certainly appreciate that you have work to do and a time frame in which to accomplish it, I respectfully suggest you may be missing a wonderful opportunity to engage visitors. Our local art museum plans to set up a conservation project in a gallery specifically TO engage and educate visitors about what it takes to care for collection objects. I think people love to see and learn about what is usually "behind the scenes" work. For instance, museums have given visitors access to paleontology labs by putting them adjacent to gallery spaces, behind glass, with intercoms to facilitate interactions with the scientists. It might take you a little longer, but your museum might reap unexpected benefits from taking that time. Or perhaps you could educate some college interns or volunteer docents about your conservation process so they might answer at least basic questions for visitors?  What you do is fascinating and exposing people to the painstaking (and expensive) work that museums undertake to preserve the past for all of us, seems like something worth considering. 

All the best on your project, Kathy

Kathy Gustafson-Hilton
    Hands On! Studio
    Office:  727 824-8988

kathy@hostudio.net
    www.hostudio.net

• 9.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-19-2017 12:46 PM
    Hello Ms. Maltby,
    One thing that may be helpful is a small white board sign that explains what you are doing. This is very effective at Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History, where a conservation lab has large windows directly opposite the conservators. Visitors can watch them work, but sound does not go through easily. The conservators make a sign that is propped up next to their work area, along with examples of finished work. It is very informative, and does not invite very much interaction. If the piece you are working on is large, you could also have small signs pointing to areas finished, and others that are untouched, so visitors can understand just what you are doing.

Cordially,

Paul Pallansch

Paul N. Pallansch
    Dot-Connector,
    Up-Close Realism
    Silver Spring MD

• 10.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-19-2017 01:03 PM

Each year, my staff and I clean mounted taxidermied specimens that are not in vitrines around the museum. We section off the area where we are working and post a sign on an easel that explains who we are and what we are doing. We also work with our social media manager to post things on the museum's social media outlets. We still get some questions, but we also don't dissuade them during our activities.

Our text (includes museum logo)

MUSEUM COLLECTIONS AND ARCHIVES

COLLECTIONS STAFF – SPRING CLEANING

Are the cleaning the specimens?

Yes!

Dust and other pollutants damage natural history specimens.

Our Collections staff clean specimens to remove these

particulates and help ensure their preservation.

Dawn Roberts | Director of Collections

The Chicago Academy of Sciences / Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum

2430 North Cannon Drive, Chicago, IL 60614 | www.naturemuseum.org

Collections Facility and Office

4001 N Ravenswood Avenue, suite 201, Chicago, IL 60613 | 773-755-5125

The Urban Gateway to Nature and Science

• 11.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-19-2017 02:35 PM
    How about “We bite”?

Seriously, this sounds more like an opportunity than a problem. How about getting a gallery interpreter or a volunteer on hand to explain what’s going on?

James Bryant
    SOJOURN Science - Nature - Education
    Santa Fe, NM
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-bryant-0598a940/

• 12.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-19-2017 07:42 PM
    Hi, Sue -

My immediate reaction when I read your post was, "Why???" As a museum
    visitor, I'm always interested when something different is going on, and
    from a connect-to-this-place POV, this type of situation always seems
    like a great opportunity to engage with visitors, let them know what's
    going on. If the work is something that needs your full attention, and
    it would be difficult and/or inappropriate for you and your colleague to
    chat with passersby, then I'd vote for a simple sign that says something
    like "Conservators (or whatever title fits) at work!" followed by a
    short explanation of what you're doing and why. Or, in other words: a
    simple interp sign (maybe with a fun graphic element) that takes
    advantage of what can be a fine "interpretive moment."

Judy

• 13.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-22-2017 10:39 AM
    We have similar signage for our public facing fossil prep lab and DNA lab. There were a *lot* of problems with people knocking on the glass when the fossil prep lab was built out back in 1998-1999, the reading rails were deemed to be the best way to both present educational info while also creating some extra distance between people and the staff.

Carter

Carter O'Brien, LEED AP O+M

Sustainability Manager
    Science & Education
    Field Museum of Natural History
    312-665-7811

Learn about The Field Museum's green building initiatives here:

https://www.fieldmuseum.org/science/conservation/greener-field

• 14.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-22-2017 07:28 AM
    I wholeheartedly encourage the recommendations that use the work in front of the public as an educational and interpretive opportunity. Signs, photos of what you are doing, perhaps even a short video, and a volunteer or staff member to share with the public what is happening and why it is important is terribly important.  We want our publics to know and understand who conservators are, what they do and why and what their training and skills are. Education can encourage our visitors to value the objects, conservators and the processes of conservation.  That value can build a base of support for the institution and what it does.
    Not only is this "behind the scenes" sharing part of what museums are charged with doing, your next donor to fund a conservation project might be standing right in front of you.

The more we include our visitors, and the more we are transparent about the cool stuff that happens in museums, the happier our visitors are. They are respected and included.  And, the work of our conservators  is celebrated and showcased.

Look at the conservation section of the big Van Gough exhibit that the Chicago Art Institute as a wonderfully embedded sharing if art conservation, curatorial research and story telling. The exhibit was up about a winter ago, but you could probably talk with staff there about how they designed that portion of the exhibit. This may lend ideas for smaller, more temporary work being carried out in public view.

Find ways to embrace your public without sacrificing your work. Everyone can win and share the delight in what you do.

Kathryn Boardman
    Principal
    Cooperstown Graduate Program - SUNY at Oneonta
    Cooperstown NY

• 15.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-22-2017 10:09 AM
    As everyone  has said, this is an opportunity to engage and inform your visitors. Two years ago, the Frans Hals Museum in Haarlem was restoring their Regentesses of the Old Men's Almshouse - the almshouse now the location of the Hals Museum - and had terrific interactive stations showing before and after sections of the painting, magnified views of the under layers of paint, information on previous restorations, et cetera.  The conservators worked in an area that had large glass panels separating them from the public, a kind of pop up conservation lab, so you really could not interact with them, but there was all this very informative material in that same and in an adjacent gallery.

Maribeth Flynn
    Museum Education Consultant

• 16.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-23-2017 10:12 AM
    All due respect, Susan, but WHY do you want to work in the gallery in the first place? Sounds like you and your colleague discussed your fears about how visitors would respond but not your goals, purpose, or desired outcomes. I urge my clients to begin with the end in mind, then do what it takes to make that happen. If you're concerned about productivity, work in the lab. Maybe offer occasional tours. But if want to showcase important work that many visitors will find cool, special, out of the ordinary, embrace your CSI Museum moment in the sun.

Dean Krimmel, Interpretive & Exhibition Planning
    Creative Museum Services/Qm2
    deankrimmel@qm2.org; 410-746-8350

• 17.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-22-2017 04:18 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi Susan, 

Happy to help! :-) 

We have been asked this exact question numerous times!  With this, we have found that offering your visitors a sign that says "to learn about what the conservator is working on press here."  So essentially, instead of make a museum sign, allow your visitor to engage and explore the details of the changes taking place thru a TV screen and an LED push button to activate if they are in fact interested to learn more.

Take a look below for a recommended museum solution for your goal in mind.  

PUSH is an interactive digital signage solution which allows digital content to seamlessly auto loop while allowing additional content to be triggered from up to six LED push buttons. This solution is designed with our VP71XD industrial digital media player, IPH, along with an assortment of LED illuminated push buttons in various colors and sizes. (sold separately). Trigger a single video file or multiple/various files and associate each video with its corresponding button. Engage your audience with PUSH Interactive. 

http://www.videoteldigital.com/push-interactive-digital-signage-solution

Please let me know if you would like more details as to how other museums are using this solution. 

Kindest Regards,

Lisa Schneider
    Videotel, Inc.
    Chula Vista CA

• 18.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-23-2017 12:41 PM
    A lot of good suggestions.  I do agree that there at the least there should be a sign describing what work is taking place.  But maybe a little more is needed.  Here's my story about conservators at work.

The Heritage Flight Collection (HFC) is located at  Paine Field, Everett, Washington.  It is a collection of approximately 20 aircraft from the 1930s to the late 40s, early 50s.  Most of the aircraft are owned by John Sessions, I believe.  All aircraft are kept in flight ready condition and are FAA certified for flight..  P-51, B-25, DC-3, F8 Bearcat, DeHaviland Beaver, plus civilian ones - Electra Jr, Waco biplane, etc.  You can tour the active hanger.  I was watching a mechanic (conservator ?) working on the engine of the F-8 Bearcat.  He was up a 10 ft ladder.  He looked at the toolbox on the ground and asked if I could had him a socket and extension that he pointed to.  I did and asked what the problem was. He took a few minutes to explain what he was doing.

I've visited a number of West Coast aviation museum and recently National Air & Space Udver-Hazey Center over the years, including the original Movieland of the Air, Orange County Airport, CA,  The Heritage Flight experience is at the top of the list.  got to learn something from an expert.  Also I'd like to say a close second is the Museum of Flight, Seattle's restoration center, also at Paine Field.  The volunteers have no problem talking about their projects.  Their work includes recently restorating a Boeing 727 for display at the Museum itself.

If you place a "Don't Bother ME" sign up you probably will lose some future re-visits.    

Raymond Meyer
    Safety Manager
    Aerospace Museum of California
    McClellan, CA 95652
    safety-security@aerospaceca.org

• 19.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-23-2017 05:18 PM
    Thank  you all for your responses.  The object in question is quite large, complex and currently in a number of pieces.  It is being treated in the gallery for several reasons, first, it is the only place it fits.  Second, from a conservation treatment standpoint we need to conserve it, assemble & install it on its exhibit mount.  Sadly, the museum does not have the resources to devote to interpreting our treatment which is slated to take 3 days :).  They are currently short staffed and the staff there at the time of our work will be busy installing an exhibit.  We will be behind stanchions in the gallery.  We won't be using anything noxious.  The object is a one of a kind so we can't show them comparable treatments as there are none.

Sue

Susan Maltby
    Conservator
    Toronto ON

• 20.  RE: Museum Signage, "Please Don't Bother the Conservators While they Work?"

Posted 05-25-2017 11:51 AM
    Surely it wouldn't require many resources to get volunteers to work shifts standing by the project?  Maybe this would be a good activity for board members, who often can benefit from education about museum processes. Believe me, I understand not having any money, but volunteers can handle this beautifully.

Beth Hansen
    Easton MD