Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Accessibility and Technology in museums.

• 1.  Accessibility and Technology in museums.

Posted 01-18-2017 04:10 PM

Dear Colleagues,

I am looking for at least 2 co-presenters for an upcoming Webinar on March 8, 2017 discussing Accessibility and Technology in museums. This discussion will offer examples of ways museums increase access by designing and integrating accessible technology into their interpretation and discuss the challenges purpose built museums and historic homes face in developing and implementing such experiences.

If you feel like you can contribute to this discussion and would like to participate please contact me.

Best,

Mark

------------------------------
    Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Guiding Programs Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Accessibility and Technology in museums.

Posted 01-19-2017 09:22 AM
    Hello,

I'd be interested in talking with you about this. I've worked on many projects both as a museum staffer and a consultant and would love to lend expertise to your panel.

Would you like to schedule a time to talk?

Despi

Despi Ross
    Founder & Lead Strategist
    Indianapolis IN

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Accessibility and Technology in museums.

Posted 01-19-2017 10:09 AM
    Dear Mark,

I am currently pursuing my master's degree in Museum Studies with a focus on interactive technologies.
    May I know is the webinar open to the public? How can I register for it as an audience?

Thank you and look forward to hearing your presentation.

Regards,

Zejun Cai
    MA Candidate in Museum Studies
    New York University | Class of 2018
    Jersey City, NJ

zc1067@nyu.edu
    caizejun.com

• 4.  RE: Accessibility and Technology in museums.

Posted 01-20-2017 08:21 AM
    I'd also love to learn more about attending the webinar if it's open to the public. Thanks!

Lisa Ostrego
    Director Guest Engagement
    John G. Shedd Aquarium
    Chicago IL

• 5.  RE: Accessibility and Technology in museums.

Posted 01-24-2017 12:36 PM
    The webinar will be open to the public. For more information please contact Amy Kirschke,Director of Adult, Docent & School Programs

Milwaukee Art Museum, amy.kirschke@mam.org

Mark

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Guiding Programs Manager
    Miami, FL 33141

• 6.  RE: Accessibility and Technology in museums.

Posted 01-19-2017 03:58 PM
    Dear Colleagues,

Hearst Castle has had tremendous success with new mobile videoconferencing organized by our staffer Erin Gates, who provided the information below for Virtual Photo Walks: 

John Butterill is founder of Virtual Photo Walks.   His email address is john.butterill@gmail.com

Virtual Photo Walks (VPW) is a non-profit organization that provides FREE programming to “those who are immobilized by disability, illness or age to escape their isolation and re-engage with society virtually” not only in the USA, but around the world. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Uv7as5ZmI This video describes what VPW is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhbiMd3BYmo  Be prepared to get teary…meet our new friends June @ 1:57sec in to the video, and Zoey @ 14:10 in to the video.  If you don’t watch anything else, please see what Zoey has to say about her experience with VPW.  It is what she says that makes me so excited and inspired to work with VPW. 

VPW's Mission Statement

Our mission is to enable those who are immobilized by disability, illness or age to escape their isolation and re-engage with society virtually. Those whom we will service learn to use mobile video chat tools to virtually participate in events in selected locations around the world and then use those same tools to engage with their family and friends and to more efficiently interact with their caregivers.

http://www.virtualphotowalks.org/virtual-photo-walks-blog/.

Mary L. Levkoff
    Museum Director, Hearst Castle
    Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument
    750 Hearst Castle Road
    San Simeon CA 93452

• 7.  RE: Accessibility and Technology in museums.

Posted 01-20-2017 12:23 PM
    Thank you for this resource.

Mark

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Guiding Programs Manager
    Miami, FL 33141

• 8.  RE: Accessibility and Technology in museums.

Posted 01-23-2017 09:53 AM
    The theme of the Museum Computer Network conference this past fall was the Human-Centered Museum, which included some speakers and talks on this topic. You can check out the program and many of the talks are on their YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/museumcn

Attend
    Mcn remove preview
    Attend
    Every year, MCN explores topics of relevance to museum practitioners working with, or affected by, digital media and technology. This year, MCN will focus on how museums can use technology to emphasize inclusion, accessibility, and agency, from a diverse range of perspectives.
    View this on Mcn >

Miranda Kerr
    Manager of Digital Learning
    John G. Shedd Aquarium
    Chicago IL

• 9.  RE: Accessibility and Technology in museums.

Posted 01-24-2017 08:14 AM
    We did write a recent whitepaper about gaming and technology in museums and science centers.  Though I'm not sure I'd be able to make it for your webinar, there are certainly some ideas here that are worth discussing.  In fact, the whitepaper itself is a game!

Spongelab | White Paper
    Spongelab remove preview
    Spongelab | White Paper
    Throughout this paper, you will find highlighted letters, that, when clicked, will appear below, and when descrambled, reveal a code you can use to unlock a free science game.
    View this on Spongelab >

Michael Mackay
    Manager, Sales & Marketing
    Spongelab Interactive
    Toronto ON

• 10.  RE: Accessibility and Technology in museums.

Posted 01-26-2017 12:17 PM
    Good afternoon, 

I am a Museum Communication graduate student and am very interested in attending/listening in on the webinar. May anyone attend? I actually am focusing my thesis research on communication and arts access in the disability community. 

Thank you!

Elizabeth Clay
    MA Candidate in Museum Communication
    The University of the Arts | Philadelphia, PA
    eclay@uarts.edu

• 11.  RE: Accessibility and Technology in museums.

Posted 01-27-2017 12:34 PM
    For information on P2P Webinar on Accessibility and Technology in Museums and other webinars sponsored by the Museum Education Division of NAEA please contact:

Amy Kirschke
    Director of Adult, Docent & School Programs, Milwaukee Art Museum
    amy.kirschke@mam.org

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Guiding Programs Manager
    Miami, FL 33141

• 12.  RE: Accessibility and Technology in museums.

Posted 01-27-2017 04:10 PM
    Unfortunately I don't have a specific contact, but you may reach out to the Museum Access Consortium here in NY to see if they can recommend any speakers: Home | Museum Access Consortium

Good luck!

Alexander Tronolone
    Manager of Teaching & Learning, Grades 6 - 12+
    Brooklyn Historical Society
    Brooklyn NY

• 13.  RE: Accessibility and Technology in museums.

Posted 01-27-2017 06:31 PM
    Here's a link to a blog about a few inexpensive solutions  for visitors who are blind or visually impaired:

http://blogs.aaslh.org/increasing-accessibility-for-visitors-who-are-visually-impaired-simple-solutions-for-small-museums/

Janice Klein
    Executive Director
    Museum Association of Arizona
    Tempe AZ