Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  national autism program list

Posted 03-22-2017 12:48 PM
    Hello, I am a second year Museology student at the University of Washington. 

In my thesis work I have compiled data about how many museum-based autism programs exits in each of the 50 US states. I want to put this information on a website so people can easily search for autism programs at museums near them or where they may be travelling and so museum professionals can see what the state of the field is like. Do any of you know of a list like this that is already circulating? Any recommendations for the best (and inexpensive) website maker? Ideally, I want to make it possible for museums to update and submit information about their program.  

Thank you, 
    Erin Salthouse
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: national autism program list

Posted 03-23-2017 01:42 PM
    While I do not know of any list like this, I am very interested in your findings as well as connecting to other museums that have effective programs in this area.  What is the best way for me to be in the loop on your progress?

Best of luck in your work!

Thanks!

Emily

------------------------------
    Emily Epley
    Executive Director
    The Earl Scruggs Center
    Shelby NC
    (704) 487-6233
    emily@earlscruggscenter.org

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: national autism program list

Posted 03-24-2017 10:56 AM
    Hi Erin,

I can point you to an existing resource. In New York City we have a great organization called the Museum Access Consortium. One feature on their website is a calendar of public events with filters to select what type of program you're looking for. So, for example, they have a filter for programs for people with autism. 

Good luck with your list and I look forward to seeing the result if you are able to share it with the AAM community. Please be sure to include access programs at the New York Transit Museum as well as the Transit Museum's day-long symposium, Access for All, which helps museums and cultural institutions design successful programs for people with autism.

Best,
    Elyse Newman

Elyse Newman
    Education Manager
    New York Transit Museum
    Brooklyn NY

• 4.  RE: national autism program list

Posted 03-24-2017 01:21 AM
    The San Diego Natural History Museum has two programs for individuals with autism. ASD Mornings (theNAT | ASD Mornings) and the Social Stories SPECTRUM project theNAT | Social Stories ) where we are collaborating with young adults with autism to create social stories for museums in Balboa Park. The social stories project was funded by IMLS and preparation for that grant, we did a massive look into what museums were conducting ASD programming. That data is about 3 years old now, so some of it may be out of date. Happy to discuss with you if that would be helpful. Beth
    Sdnhm remove preview
    theNAT | Social Stories
    From January to December 2017, the Social Stories Spectrum Project will provide a structured opportunity for high-functioning verbal young adults (ages 18-25) with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) to meet up with their peers and practice social skills, participate in organized trips to seven museums in Balboa Park, and work together to create "social stories" for the museums visited.
    View this on Sdnhm >

Sdnhm remove preview
    theNAT | ASD Mornings
    Through developmentally appropriate opportunities, theNAT has created specialized learning geared toward visitors of all levels. With the ASD Mornings program, our hope is that individuals on the autism spectrum will visit the Museum knowing they are in a welcoming, safe, and comfortable environment.
    View this on Sdnhm >
    ) w

Beth Redmond-Jones
    Senior Director of Public Programs
    San Diego Natural History Museum
    San Diego CA
    bredmondjones@sdnhm.org
    619-255-0205

• 5.  RE: national autism program list

Posted 03-24-2017 09:00 AM
    Hi Erin,
    I don't know of a place that comprehensively lists programs (but I haven't been looking either.)
    However, here's another interesting resource for when you do start compiling the list -Magnusmode -
    Magnusmode remove preview
    Magnusmode -
    MagnusCards is a free app that combines a proven method of instruction (Social Stories) with elements of game design to help people learn life skills. With Magnus as your guide, you can collect and create digital Card Decks, which provide step-by-step instructions for various social interactions, situations, behaviours, and activities.
    View this on Magnusmode >

It seems as if they have partnered with the Royal Ontario museum to create  set of "cards" to support a trip there.
    A Trip to the ROM - Magnusmode

I don't know much about it beyond this though.

Good luck,
    wendy

Wendy Derjue-Holzer
    Education Director - HMNH
    Harvard Museums of Science and Culture
    Cambridge MA