Open Forum

View Only

Using common technology to create a more inclusive Museum

• 1.  Using common technology to create a more inclusive Museum

Posted 12-03-2016 02:20 PM

Recently I read about the Louvre Museum partnering with Nintendo to create a 3DS application specifically for the Louvre.  This inspired me to bring my own Nintendo 3DS to work (I promise I was not playing any games) in order to experiment using its 3d camera.  My coworkers enjoyed seeing pieces in our collection rendered as 3d photos, and a discussion began about how ubiquitous technology and devices can be used to promote a museum environment that is more open to everybody.  The appeal of the Nintendo 3DS lies in its ubiquity and accessibility: many people (particularly 18-30 year-olds) own a 3DS.  The camera is easy to use and there are websites such as Imgur that allow users to post 3d photographs.

I was tasked with doing further research into how museums have embraced advancing technology without alienating individuals that are not technologically-savvy.  Every museum wants to think of themselves as "inclusive", but sometimes going out of the way to be more open and inviting to one specific group has unintended side-effects.  For example, my museum has an optional audio tour that is accessible through smart phones and tablet devices.  While visitors that make daily use of smart phones and tablets find the tour easy to access and use, many other visitors express frustration with our audio tour; they are sometimes embarrassed that they must ask for assistance, and what was intended to be a means for visitors to enjoy our collection in a new way can instead become a bit of a damper on their visit. 

I am curious to find our how other museums have used contemporary and advancing technology to attract new audiences without alienating other visitors. 

------------------------------
    Shaun Cochran
    Mini-time Machine Museum of Miniatures
    Tucson AZ
    ------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more