Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  What to do with seal envelopes that arrive with a donation

Posted 11-17-2017 05:01 PM
    Hello everyone,

I was accessioning a collection of newly donated items the other day and came across a mailing envelope that arrived sealed.  My supervisor and I are unsure of the contents, but we can assume that they are relative to both our museum and to the collection because of the return address on the envelope.

My question is, therefore: do we open the envelope and risk ruining the original state of the item or do we open the envelope to investigate the contents further?

Any advice, suggestions, or past examples you might have are welcome!

Thanks!

------------------------------
    [Erin] [Engel]
    [MLIS graduate student, University of Illinois Urbana Champagin, 2018 (expected)]
    [Head Intern, Collections Department]
    [Joliet Area Historical Museum]
    [Joliet] [Illinois]
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: What to do with seal envelopes that arrive with a donation

Posted 11-20-2017 01:13 PM
    I would open them. They are of no use to anyone if no one knows what they are.

Dana Willan
    Columbia MD

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: What to do with seal envelopes that arrive with a donation

Posted 11-20-2017 05:45 PM
    ​Don't judge a book by its cover.

Steven Miller
    Executive Director Emeritus
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

• 4.  RE: What to do with seal envelopes that arrive with a donation

Posted 11-21-2017 06:45 AM
    Can you contact the sender? If it is impossible to find out from the donor what the contents are, have a conservator open the envelope as carefully as possible.