Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for this display type

Posted 09-19-2017 05:28 PM
    I was recently at a museum in Nebraska where I came across this strategy for displaying buttons. I want to use exactly this type of thing in our displays, but I can't find anything remotely like this in catalogs, on Pinterest, or anywhere else. I called the museum and no one there could remember where it came from. I emailed a museum display manufacturer and they simply didn't understand my question. I'm hoping one of you smart people has an idea about how to create this metal stand or where I might find one. Looking for a display like this

------------------------------
    Angie Albright
    Director
    Clinton House Museum
    Fayetteville AR
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Looking for this display type

Posted 09-19-2017 06:54 PM
    I don't know about the base, but you could paint a thin piece of foam core and stick heavy T-Pins in. Then put the buttons on the T-Pins.
    Just an idea!

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Looking for this display type

Posted 09-20-2017 12:10 PM
    This appears to be thin tubes that the pin on the back of the button inserts into. You can purchase 12" lengths of small diameter tubing from hardware stores. Match the tubing size with your drill bit, drill the base of your choice, and glue the tubes into the holes. You can easily cut the tubing to length with a small saw and you can lay out the design in the pattern that fits your display. I would coat the tubing with an archival safe sealant before adding the display items.

Jacquelyn Wilson
    Archivist
    University of West Florida Historic Trust
    Pensacola FL
    jwilson2@uwf.edu

• 4.  RE: Looking for this display type

Posted 09-20-2017 05:11 PM

Ohhhh, I like this idea a lot. Thank you!

Angie

Angie Albright, Director

Clinton House Museum

930 W. Clinton Drive

Fayetteville, AR 72701

479-444-0066

www.ClintonHouseMuseum.org

• 5.  RE: Looking for this display type

Posted 09-20-2017 09:09 AM
    Angie,

The mounts that hold these buttons in place look like they were designed and fabricated by a professional mount maker. They are custom made for this display. Typically a designer will work with a curator on a layout for objects to be put on display. The designer will create a drawing that documents the layout, and a professional mount maker will create the mounts. The drawings include the distance the object is to be located off of the base or back wall of a display case, and the orientation (angled, straight up, or other). The mounts also secure the objects in place and keep them safe while on display. Well done mounts are painted to match the case interior color and the object that they hold when the mount is visible, and tend to disappear into the background of the case. You can find mount makers in your area by contacting other museums, or by perusing the Museum Marketplace.

Good luck with your project.

Mike

Michael Hanke
    Exhibit Designer
    Design Division, Inc.
    Hadley MA

• 6.  RE: Looking for this display type

Posted 09-20-2017 10:58 AM
    Angie,
    Michael is right, this is certainly a carefully planned presentation and execution using a good mount maker. I'm sure you can locate a qualified MM on this site.

Good luck

John McMillan
    President
    McMillan Group, Inc.
    Westport CT

• 7.  RE: Looking for this display type

Posted 09-20-2017 11:16 AM
    Thanks everyone! 
    I had hoped that maybe I wouldn't have to have this mount custom made but I'm glad to know how I might recreate this! So much wisdom here . .. Thank you!

Angie Albright
    Director
    Clinton House Museum
    Fayetteville AR

• 8.  RE: Looking for this display type

Posted 09-20-2017 12:08 PM

That is an elegant display. Thanks for sharing it, Angie!
    I'm trying to figure out how those armatures keep from falling over. Surely that soft arc isn't enough, right? Are they pinned to the vitrine's base, invisibly?

Jason Jay Stevens
    Exhibit Designer/Principal
    Flutter & Wow Museum Projects
    Ann Arbor MI